Playwright - Director - Actor - Voice Artist - Theatre Maker
Stephen Callaghan is a prolific playwright and theatre-maker, based in Glasgow, Scotland. He has written extensively on faith-related subjects, from the lives of Saints to Biblical material in new and challenging ways. Often infused with the humour and style of his native city, his plays have been performed widely in local venues and schools around Scotland and at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival. These include a commission from the Vatican for an International Conference taking place in Glasgow and the acclaimed “The Margaret Sinclair Story”, commissioned by the Archdiocese of St Andrews and Edinburgh, which premiered at the Edinburgh Fringe in 2016. Together with his wife, Rachel, he directs the work of Callaghan Theatre Productions and is also the Creative Director of the Archdiocese of Glasgow Arts Project (AGAP). He is a member of the Scottish Society of Playwrights, an Honours graduate of the University of Glasgow Theatre, Film & TV Studies Department and holds Licentiate and Associate diplomas in Speech and Drama from the London College of Music and Media.
Plays written by Stephen Callaghan
- Oggie! Oggie! Oggie! (2023) – Modern adaptation of The Confessions of Saint Augustine.
- The Margaret Sinclair Story [Video Adaptation] (2021) – Commissioned by the Archdiocese of St Andrews and Edinburgh.
- Star of the Sea (2019) – Commissioned by the Vatican for the 100th Anniversary of the Apostleship of the Sea.
- Sign of Contradiction: The Passion Story (2019) – Second Part of dramatic treatment of the life of Jesus Christ.
- Sign of Contradiction: The Christmas Story (2018) – First Part of a dramatic treatment of the life of Jesus Christ.
- The Pew With a View (2018) – Solo comedy play discussing contemporary church issues.
- Mungo: Legend of Glasgow’s Saint (2018) – Historical folk play about Glasgow’s patron Saint and founder.
- Lives of the Saints (2017) – 14 Short Plays Commissioned by Missio Scotland and distributed nationally to Catholic Primary Schools.
- Wilderness (2015) – A comedy.
- The Margaret Sinclair Story (2016) – Commissioned by the Archdiocese of St Andrews & Edinburgh
- Among Women (2016) – Four women with intersecting monologues tell a story that reveals interesting parallels.
- Did You Know (2016) – Comedy sketch commissioned to celebrate the Year of Consecrated Life.
- The Selfish Giant (2015) – Libretto for a Musical Version of Oscar Wilde’s classic children’s story.
- Father Kentenich: Champion of Freedom (2014) – Historical play set during WW2.
- Dramatised Stations of the Cross (2014) – Commissioned by the Catholic Youth Service of Scotland for World Youth Day national event
- A Wean in a Manger (2013) – Panto-style nativity play
- The Pilgrimage (2013) – A comedy about five characters en route to Lourdes.
- If You Know Your History (2012) – Commissioned Sketch for the 125th Anniversary of Celtic Football Club
- Freedom from Chains (2011) – Commissioned by the Notre Dame Child Guidance Centre for the 80th Anniversary
- The Turnaround (2011) – A parable about change.
- Going for Broke on Jesus: The Bob Park Story (2010) – Dramatic Adaptation Commissioned by the Author of the Book
- Pure Dead Dangerous (2010) – Commissioned by the Scottish Catholic Parliamentary Service
- The Cure D’Ars: A Priest Forever (2010) – For the Year of Priests
- Paul (2009) – For the Bi-Centenary of the Birth of Saint Paul
- Feet of Clay (2008) – A contemporary fusion of the parables of Jesus Christ.
- Passionate Voices (2007) – Monologues on the Passion.